Tuesday 30 November 2010

Julie & Julia...



I've been wanting to see this movie for ages! I'm a little obsessed with cooking, so any time something food related comes out, I always have several people telling me to check it out.


Well, this movie was one that a LOT of people had told me I must see, but I could never find the DVD anywhere.


Today, joy of joys, I was doing some xmas shopping in my local Asda, and there is was! Not only that, but it was at a special price of £5, AND came with a free recipe book!


The sticker on the front said "Gift idea - she'll love it!"


Okay, so that slightly pissed off my inner feminist, but I bought it nonetheless and guess what? She DID love it!




What's not to love? Two true stories running parallel to each other - the first, the story of Julia Child, an american woman living in Paris, who discovers that she is as passionate about cooking as she is about eating. She spends years pursuing her dream of publishing a french cookbook for american people. It's an inspirational story which teaches the all important lesson that nothing worth having comes easily.

The second, set many years later, is the story of Julie Powell, a woman on the threshold of her 30s, who feels a bit lost in a world where it seems that everyone else knows what they are doing except her. She hates her job, but adores cooking, and begins a blog in which she cooks her way through the now famous book of french cookery by none other than Julia Child.
There are disasters, tears, tantrums and a lot of work, but the movie is brilliant.
It's easy to assume that great cooks never get it wrong, but this movie reminded me that even the best of us has lain down on the kitchen floor in tears when it all falls apart...well, it's like I always say - I only get so upset because I care!

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to see this film as well and kinda forgot! I'm going to have to find it. Have you seen Eat, Pray, Love? I'm sure it's nothing like the book but I think it'll be good too :) Keep being an awesome DG.

    TrampyPants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheila! I really want to see Eat, Pray, Love xxx

    ReplyDelete