Wednesday 1 December 2010

Cabin Fever...

It's been snowing here for a week, and the schools have been closed. The kids loved the snow for the first couple of days, but now they just want to stay in, watching DVDs and playing Club Penguin!
The trouble is, Charlie has just started playing Club Penguin, and needs frequent help from me. Daisy is at that adorable stage of being completely unable to stay focused on any one thing for more than five minutes, so she'll start colouring, then abandon it to do a jigsaw, then abandon that to make paper plate masks, then abandon that to play Puppy in my Pocket...
Which is why my living room now looks like this...

Argh! I swear today my ass had an alarm on it, so that every time I landed on it, someone had to shout "Muuuuum!"
I couldn't even make a cup of tea in peace! if the school is still closed tomorrow, we HAVE to go out. A day in the house is all very well and good, but it gets really stressful when you see the place slowly falling apart around you, the kids are bored and kranky, you're exhausted and beginning to get really short tempered!
So anyway, after dinner was over, the kids were running riot, Steven was getting ready for his night shift, and I looked around and felt pretty sorry for myself. By that time in the evening, I'm tired, I've been hearing demands all day, and I just desperately want five minutes peace - sound familiar?

Daisy decided to make me a puzzle as a present "because I wub you"
Can anyone resist that smile?

So I took a deep breath, counted to ten(thousand) and decided to embrace the madness. We played a couple of games, read a few stories and snuggled under the duvet. Daisy asked for some warm milk and when I came back with it, I found this...


No matter how crazy they make me, no matter how exhausted and frustrated I get, I look at their beautiful sleeping faces and I know that I could never love anything more. Ever.

Tomorrow I will be patient. Tomorrow I will tidy the house and keep it tidy. Tomorrow, we will make snowmen, and cookies and go sledging.

Tomorrow I will be a better mum, a better wife, a better me.

Tomorrow. I promise.




No comments:

Post a Comment