Monday 8 November 2010

The Great Declutter - getting rid of STUFF

STUFF annoys me. STUFF stresses me out.
Everywhere I go in my house, there are piles of STUFF, drawers full of STUFF, and generally so much STUFF that I don't know where to start!
Why di we do this to ourselves? We spend our whole lives pushing ourselves to work harder, earn more money and buy more STUFF, when we could just pare down and enjoy the benefits of a simpler life.

Imagine waking up every morning in a tidy bedroom, being able to easily choose an outfit from a small, clean and perfectly ironed selection and spend the day doing something peaceful and enjoyable, instead of waking up in a bombsite, struggling to drag things out of overstuffed drawers and wardrobes and spending the day stressing about how you want to do fun things, but have too much housework to do! Well, that's my life, anyway!

I'm moving house this month. In fact, after tomorrow I'm starting to seriously pack our things up and decide what we need to take and what we can let go of.
I realise that the majority of stuff I want to keep will be for sentimental reasons, rather then practical ones. We need very few things to live well, but some things just have a personal meaning. Do we keep them, just so we can pull them out every few years and remember? Or do we find some other way to remember and let go of the material things that are dragging us down?

I've decided to go for the latter. I've decided that instead of keeping so much STUFF, I will take pictures of sentimental items and blog about them, and then let them go.
It's been such a horrible year for us, incredibly stressful and manic. I'm ready for a simple life. I'm ready to let go of my STUFF, and start enjoying my TIME.

Stay tuned for some sentimental journeys coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment