Tuesday 9 November 2010

The Great Declutter - the black bag challenge




Today I decided to get a head start on the decluttering by first getting rid of anything that needed to be binned. Today was not about tidying, or sorting what's to be sold and what's to go to the charity shop. No, today was all about the rubbish, the tat, the stuff that just has to go!




I put a big bin bag in each room, and focused entirely on throwing things away, and two hours later, I had a good old collection to be taken to the tip. My house feels lighter already!




Of course, among the stuff to go in the bin, there were some things of sentimental value. Mainly my kids' artwork. What do you do with the endless stream of arts and crafts that kids take home from school? Some things are just beautiful and deserve pride of place on the wall or fridge, but what about the piles of coloured scribbles and paint splodges?


I must admit I'm pretty ruthless about these and tend to get rid of the majority. To be honest, the kids don't even notice. I think they enjoy the experience of doing crafts rather than the end result!




As much as I love looking at their artwork, there has to be a limit!
I think I might borrow an idea from another blogger I read recently, and make a "clothes line" with pegs and hang up the kids' latest art projects, then change them monthly.
That way, the kids feel like their work is appreciated and enjoyed, and I don't feel to guilty when I eventually throw it out!
Oh, and in other good news, someone wants to view my house!!!
Having had no interest for months, I'm very excited about this and hopefully all my decluttering will leave the house looking it's absolute best :-)
Tomorrow's mission - getting stuff sorted into charity/ebay boxes...

2 comments:

  1. A bin bag in every room is a GREAT idea! I really need to do that. Good luck with the house selling xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I cleared three bin bags' worth of clutter and old clothes out of my wardrobes, inspired by your amazing decluttering skills!

    ReplyDelete