Monday 7 February 2011

The Grocery Challenge - February

Oooh, I love a new challenge!

We've been living hand to mouth for way too long now, it's like we just got used to always having a negative bank balance and just spent without really thinking about it.
Now that the house is sold and we will probably have most of our debt cleared, I'd like to start being more careful with our money so we can have actual *gasp* savings!
The plan is to save my entire wage and just live off the hubby's. This is entirely doable, considering I've been a SAHM several times and we've managed to live off of one wage.
Our biggest challenge is to stop wasting so much money on groceries though. I don't even know how much money I spend in supermarkets, but I'd estimate it at around £600 per month.
I know prices have shot up lately, but that's ridiculous!
I'd like to get this figure down to around £300 per month, or even less. I'm a good cook, I can make something out of nothing, so there's no need for constant trips to the supermarket!
My challenge for February is to spend as little as possible on food, and start doing my grocery shopping online.
Here are my goals...

1) Do grocery shopping online, less temptation to stray from the list!
2) Use Tesco instead of Asda, then I get clubcard points!
3) Get meat from local butcher, it's cheaper and better quality
4) Buy all toileteries from Boots, get advantage points!
5) Batch cook and freeze things for lazy days, less temptation to nip out for something
6) STICK TO THE MEAL PLAN!!

Do you spend too much in supermarkets? If so, feel free to join the challenge!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jodes, good luck with that. I've been trying to do that lately too but find that I need to run back out and pick up a thing or two and it totally blows my budget. I think the secret is to only use cash. When the grocery cash is gone, you're done spending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holly, I think you're right - cash is the way forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cash, or internet shopping! I set a budget and stick to it :) Also Dolly, try the 'step down' challenge, you step down a brand, so from named labels, to stores own, or for things like sweetcorn- value brands. You'd be surprised how much you save :)

    ReplyDelete