Thursday 2 December 2010

The Importance of Being Anal

Yes, I am aware of how wrong that title is, and no, it's not a movie review...

I was thinking today about the theme of my blog, and although it's mainly just a memoir of everyday family life, it's also to document my journey from the chaos of right now to hopefully a more settled and calm future.
Well, the truth is, if I want a calmer life, I'll have to start running a tighter ship. It's all very well to be impulsive and spontaneous, but sometimes there needs to be a place for everything, and everything in it's place.
I know several people who think it's dull to be super organised, but I've yet to meet someone who thinks it's fun to be racing around searching for a lost item when you're already running late.
I thought I'd do a little series of posts about several areas where I'd like to become more organised, saying how I plan to go about it and hopefully inspire someone else along the way!
So here are the categories I can think of, just off the top of my head;

*Kids toys and clothes
*Paperwork
*Finances
*Housework
*Food storage
*Meal planning
*Time management

Sound good? I may add to this list, but at some point in the near future, I will do seperate posts on each of these categories.
At the moment, I'm completely disorganised. This year has thrown me into a tornado of chaos and confusion, and trust me, there's nothing more stressful than waiting until the day your road tax is due, then tearing the living room apart because the post office closes in 20 mins and you can't find your MOT certificate. That was only yesterday!

Wouldn't it be great to be able to know off the top of your head where every important item in your house is, at any given moment?
Wouldn't it be great to know, without checking, how much money is in your bank, what day your bills come off and to know that you have the best possible deal for everything?

I'd love to spend 2011 getting to bed at a decent time, having all the housework done before 8pm, paying my bills when they are due and not when they threaten to break my legs, having a meal plan and spending my spare time doing something constructive instead of stressing out over everything that needs to be done!
In short, I want to learn the importance of being anal :-)

6 comments:

  1. I am the opposite of organised so shall be watching you for inspiration, missus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this fabulous diary which I *KNOW* would instantly make life all organised and sorted and everything...

    http://www.ktwoproducts.com/products/65_home_and_work_diary_2011

    But at a tenner I am slightly hesitant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on this. 2011 is going to be my year of getting organised. Actually, I've started tonight. I'm trying to get my paperwork in order and I've bought one of those concertina/expanding box files, so each section will have important paperwork relating to insurance/utilities/car etc etc. I'm hoping that will go some way to keeping me on top of everything. I shall be inspired by you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so with you on this! I am forever misplacing important letters, even though I really try to be organized. I'm going to start with getting my paperwork in order and I'll take it from there. :)

    I actually wrote this comment earlier this morning, but it wouldn't post, so I hope it will be better now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go through phases with things like this, I am either incredibly organised to the point of "do you have too much time" or not at all! We moved into our first house together this year and from about this time last year we were ridiculously organised about everything, when we were packing we had a spreadsheet with an itemised list of what was in each box, we had a Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 list of tasks that needed to be done and all sorts. Now that we're still settling in we've both kind of given up but I'm getting the itch to start ordering things again so I know where I am!

    To explain how bad I can be ... I once decided to do an itinerary of what was in the freezer as I was sick of going in every drawer to find something :D ... lasted 1 update mind you :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Wouldn't it be great to know, without checking, how much money is in your bank, what day your bills come off and to know that you have the best possible deal for everything?' - Yes! I am organised with some things, but my finances is not one of them. I hope to rectify this next year...

    ReplyDelete