Sunday 13 June 2010

Making peace with patience

I've been reading through a lot of blogs lately, and drooling over the beautiful houses that these women have!
There are tons of brilliant ideas and I'm feeling so inspired! When we move to my mum's house (hopefully soon), I know that it will be our "Forever" home. I wouldn't want it any other way - it's the house I grew up in, it's in the town that I love, my kids adore living here and it's right next door to my husband's parents! How perfect is that?
It will need lots of work done and it will take a long time and a lot of money to make the house exactly the way I want it. In fact, I'm not even sure how I want it yet!
In any house I've lived in before, I've never had that "Forever" feeling. We've decorated hastily and done the minimum we can get away with to have a home we feel content in until it's time to sell up and move on again.
In my mum's house, I will need to learn to slow down and be patient. I have the rest of my life to live there and make it perfect for all of us. It will take time and hard work, no settling for the cheaper option or the path of least resistance. In my forever home, I need it to be exactly what makes us delighted, excited and inspired.
I'm going to take it one room at a time, in fact, i'm going to get a folder and section it off by rooms, and gather ideas so that when the time comes to work on that room, I'll have some idea where i'm going with it. There are loads of ideas out there!

2 comments:

  1. What you're going to be doing sounds great, and a unique opportunity to make your perfect family home. You asked on LLL (I'm aiki there) for alternative blog names - you could have 'Forever home'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aiki - I did think about "Forever Home", but at the moment I rather like Good Golly Miss Dolly - it reminds me of swingy skirts and retro styles, which is the feel I want to have on my blog. Cheers for the comment, I'll be following your blog too!

    ReplyDelete