Thursday 3 June 2010

Day 1 - 3 bags down!

I ain't hanging around!
Today, I made an appointment for someone to come and start the house selling process. They are coming in one week. ONE WEEK!!!!!
Of course, to add to the stress of this, I'm starting my new job on monday, so for three whole days next week, I'll be at work. That means I have to make the absolute most of the time I have at home over the next 7 days.
This afternoon, I made a start on my daughter's bedroom by paring down her clothes. I read a brilliant blog post about how, if you want to keep clothes tidy, you should avoid drawers.
Having drawers means that clothes inevitably get stuffed in and become wrinkled and messy, doubling your workload. Ideally, everything yould be hung up, with the exception of underwear, which could either be in drawers or over door pockets.
Of course, we all have so many clothes that it would be impossible to hang up every shirt, tshirt, dress, skirt and pair of jeans!
Then I realised - if I'm keeping well on top of the laundry, really, we don't need more than 7 days' worth of clothes each. Really.
Now, for me, that's an extreme idea. I have no less than 37 dresses. I own 5 pairs of jeans, I have no idea how many coats I posess, and don't even get me started on shoes!
Having said that though, if I really think about it, what do I wear every day? For the most part, if I'm working, I wear a uniform. If I'm at home, I'm usually playing with the kids or walking the dogs, so it tends to be jeans, tshirts, hoodies - you know, comfy stuff.
I wear dresses when I go out, but that only happens maybe once a month, usually much less than that!
So no, I don't need 37 dresses. I think I need to choose 4 or 5 dresses, and get rid of the rest.
I'm going to go through all our clothes, and aim for 7 days' worth each, with possibly a couple of special occasion outfits.

On the subject of clothes, I've managed to simplify my laundry routine, which is working brilliantly! I used to wash and dry my clothes, then take them from the dryer, fold them and pile them on the floor next to the dryer.
More often than not, the kids would run past and knock the piles over, or the dogs would pick up random garments and drop them around the house. The piles would multiply through the week, until sunday, when I would get super stressed about the huge amount of stuff I needed to sort and put away. Usually, most of the stuff would need ironed too, argh!
Now, as soon as the stuff comes out of the dryer, I fold it and sort it on the spot. Folded clothes are piled in terms of where they belong, and the piles are immediately taken there and put away. Seemples! It takes maybe 5 minutes longer than making one pile, and saves me hours of stress on sundays. Love it!

1 comment:

  1. Now YOU are motivating ME...keep going, great job!

    ReplyDelete